Prof. M. Necip Sahinkaya
School/Department: Mechanical and Automotive Engineering
Position: Professor, Head of School of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering
M. Necip Sahinkaya is a Professor of Mechanical Engineering. He received his doctorate in 1979 (University of Sussex). Following periods at the Universities of Sussex, Strathclyde and Bath, he moved to industry in 1988. He rejoined the University of Bath in 2000 as a Reader in Mechanical Engineering, and then moved to Kingston University London in 2013 as a Professor of Mechanical Engineering. He is Fellow of IMechE and Editor-in-Chief for the IMechE Proceedings Part I. He was Chair of the Organising Committee for the UKACC Control 2004 conference.
He has experience in developing interdisciplinary research and teaching activities. His research involves collaborative projects as well as individual research activity. He has made seminal contributions to the study of machine systems and pioneered an open-loop adaptive control technique using magnetic bearings to control vibrations in rotating machines. His research in the dynamics and control of complex non-linear mechatronic systems has been recognised through prizes and awards. He is a member of the ISO TC108/SC2/WG7 Committee on Vibration of Active Magnetic Bearing Equipped Rotating Machinery. His research has been supported by various grants from Research Councils and industry. He has published over 120 journal and conference papers
Educational and Professional Qualifications
- 1989 - 1989 Docent (Associate Professor), Bosphorous University, Turkey
- 1977 - 1979 DPhil, University of Sussex, UK
- 1975 - 1976 MSc, University of Sussex, UK
- 1970 - 1974 BSc, Istanbul Technical University, Turkey
» Simulation and control of non-linear systems
» Robotics and high speed machinery
» Parallel manipulators
» Inverse dynamics
» Input shaping, trajectory optimisation
» Design and control of magnetic Bearings/flexible rotor systems
» Contact dynamics
» Identification of oil-film bearing characteristics
» Control of Continuously Variable Transmissions (CVTs) for passenger vehicles
» Hardware-in-the loop (HIL) systems
- 2009 PE Publishing Prize awarded by the Editor and Editorial Board of the Journal of Power and Energy (IMechE)
- 2006 IMechE Thomas Bernard Hall Prize
- 2006 Best Technical Paper Award, ASME International Gas Turbine Institute
- 2006 Best Paper Award at the 7th International Conference on Rotor Dynamics in Vienna, Austria
- 1990 IMechE William Sweet Smith Prize
- 2006 and 2007 Nominated for the University of Bath Mary Tasker award for excellence in teaching
- Nov 12, £123,879, BHF (PG/12/29448) Design and preclinical feasibility assessment of an active Fontan assist device
- Jan 12, £10,604, EPSRC (EP/J003034/1) Nano-Precision Motion Control of Complex Multi Degree of Freedom Systems
- Nov 11, £14,800, Industrial Mathematics sKTP with Airbus UK (1000680)
- July 10, £186,000, KTP with Spirax-Sarco Ltd (KTP006966).
- Jun 09, £700, The Royal Academy of Engineering International Travel Grant (ITG 09-287), Visit to USA
- Oct 08, £30,000, Royal Academy of Engineering, Extension of Visiting Professorship in Integrated System Design (315/106)
- Oct 07, £177,000, University of Bath, Establishing New Joint Integrated Mechanical and Electrical Engineering (IMEE) Laboratory
- Sep 07, £700, The Royal Academy of Engineering International Travel Grant (ITG F7-621), Visit to USA
- Nov 06, £600, The Royal Academy of Engineering International Travel Grant (ITG 06-855), Visit to USA
- Oct 06, £125,000, EPSRC (EP/E500498/1) Academic Fellowship
- Mar 06, £314,144, EPSRC (EP/D031389/1), Controlled Escape from Trapped Contact Modes in Magnetic Bearing Systems (with P.S. Keogh (PI) and C.R.Burrows)
- Oct 05, £60,000, Royal Academy of Engineering, Visiting Professorship in Integrated System Design (315/106)
- Oct 05, £79,467, EPSRC Industrial Case Studentship (Company: Molins ITCM), High Speed Servo Actuated Mechanisms
- Oct 05, £57,370, EPSRC (EP/C548043/1), Network: Hybrid Numerical-Experimental Testing for Complex Engineering Systems (with Dr. Wagg (PI) and 5 others in Universities of Bath, Bristol and Oxford).
- Sep 05, £800 The Royal Academy of Engineering International Travel Grant (ITG 05-580), Visit to USA
- Aug 04, £1,000, The Royal Academy of Engineering International Travel Grant (ITG 04-389), Visit to USA
- Jul 04, £27,995, EPSRC (GR/T17786/01), Postgraduate Workshop and Student Participation in Control 2004 (with KA Edge)
- Jan 04, £434,426, EPSRC (GR/S64448), Platform Grant, CPTMC (with CR Burrows (PI) et al.)
- May 03, £250,000, Wolfson Foundation (with CR Burrows (PI) and PS Keogh)
- Jun 02, £1,000, The Royal Academy of Engineering International Travel Grant (ITG 02-318), Visit to Japan
- Oct 01, £230,200, EPSRC (GR/R45277), Wavelets for the active control of transient rotor vibrations (with P S Keogh (PI) and C R Burrows)
- Sep 01, £800, The Royal Academy of Engineering International Travel Grant (ITG 01-385), Visit to USA
- Nov 87, £80,982, MOD, Dynamic Analysis of Autonomous Weapon Platform (with C R Burrows)
- 87, RAE, Multidirectional controlled isolation of helicopter structures
- Aug 86, £58,000, BTG, Development of a CVT Controller (with C R Burrows)
- Mar 86, £12,980, SERC (GR/D/45956), CAD of Non-linear three-dimensional mechanisms (with C R Burrows)
- Dec 85, £3,000, United Nations, TOKTEN Assignment to Turkey
- Mar 85, £1,510, SERC (GR/D/38873), Study Visit to Japan
- Oct 84, £17,865, SERC (GR/C/85948), Use of Kalman filtering to estimate oil-film bearing parameters from operational data (with C R Burrows)
-1983-86, various, Carnegie Trust, Visit to instutions during conference attendance in USA and Japan
- Nov 83, £116,000, MOD, Multi-directional controlled isolation of helicopter structures (with C R Burrows)
- Oct 83, £68,000, SERC, Adaptive Control of Vibrations in rotating machinery (with C R Burrows)
- Sep 83, £10,215, BTG, Development of a controller for the Perbury Transmission (with C R Burrows)
- May 83, £27,000, BTG, Development of the Perbury Transmission (with C R Burrows)
Mechatronics, dynamics, control, robotics.
Other Professional Activity
Membership of Professional Bodies:
Fellow, Institution of Mechanical Enginners (FIMechE), 80031927
Member, American Society Of Mechanical Engineers (ASME), 8743957
Member, Turkish Chamber of Mechanical Engineers (TMMOB), 1019
External Professional Activities:
» Associate Editor, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part I: Journal of Systems and Control Engineering, since 2013.
» Editorial Board, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part I: Journal of Systems and Control Engineering, 2012-2013.
» Member, UKACC Executive Committee, 2011-2014.
» Member, ISO TC108/SC2/WG7 Committee on Mechanical Vibrations- Vibration of Rotating Machinery Equipped with Active Magnetic Bearings, since 2005.
» Guest Editor, Special Issue on "Dynamics and Control of Parallel Manipulators", The Institution of Mechanical Engineers Proceedings Part I, Journal of Systems and Control Engineering, 2009.
» Session Organiser, (Rotordynamics VI: Bearing and Seal Influences II) ASME Turbo Expo 2011, June 6-10, 2011, Vancouver, Canada.
» Chairman of the Organising Committee for the UKACC Control 2004 Conference, Bath, UK, 2004.
» Conference Committee Membership:
◦ International Scientific Committee, the 10th International Conference on Motion and Vibration Control (MOVIC 2010), August 17-20, 2010, Tokyo, Japan.
◦ Program Committee, ASME Dynamic Systems and Control Conference (DSC), October 12-14, 2009, Hollywood, California.
◦ Scientific Committee, 7th International Conference on Modern Practice in Stress and Vibration Analysis (MPSVA), since 2006.
◦ International Committee, the 9th International Conference on Motion and Vibration Control (MOVIC 2008), 16-18 September 2008, Munich, Germany.
◦ Scientific Committee, 4th International Conference "Mechatronic Systems and Materials 2008 (MSM 2008)", July, 14-16, 2008 in Bialystok, Poland.
◦ International Program Committee, The International Conference on Advances in Computer-Human Interactions (ACHI), since 2008.
◦ International Program Committee, The International Conference on Advanced Engineering Computing and Applications in Sciences (ADVCOMP), since 2007.
◦ Congress Program Committee & Conference Co-Chair, The World Congress on Engineering (WCE), since 2007.
◦ Program Committee, 4th International Conference on Informatics in Control, Automation and Robotics (ICINCO), since 2007.
◦ Scientific Committee, Applied Computing (IADIS International Conference), since 2007.
Roehampton Vale MB214