Dr Reem Kayyali
School/Department: Life Sciences, Pharmacy & Chemistry
Position: Associate professor
2014 - Associate professor in applied and clinical pharmacy
2010 - Pharmacy practice and clinical pharmacy subject area lead
2010 - Course Director for Diploma in Pharmacy Practice
(Overseas Pharmacists' Assessment Programme) PgDip, Kingston University
2009- Principal Lecturer in applied and clinical pharmacy, Kingston University
2006-2009 Senior Lecturer in applied and clinical pharmacy, Kingston University.
2001-2004 Research fellow, University College London Medical School
1998-2000 Maplethorpe Fellow, King's College London
Member of the General Pharmaceutical Council
Educational and Professional Qualifications
- 2000 - present MRPharmS
- 1994 - 1998 PhD, King's College London
- 1993 - 1994 MSc Biopharmacy, King's College London
- 1989 - 1992 BPharm (Hons), University of Nottingham
Current Reserach Interest:
» Optimising the care of patients with chronic conditions e.g. diabetes, cancer
Diabetes Research Group website
» Evaluating the use of innovative technology (M-health and telecare) to improve health outcomes, self care and timely management
» Evaluating the cost effectiveness of community pharmacy services
» Healthcare professionals' and patients' education
» Empowering patients for self-care
» Streamlining transition of care
» Use of blended learning and interactive learning technology such as serious games in healthcare education
Drug Discovery, Delivery and Patient Care http://sec.kingston.ac.uk/research/research-groups/drg/
Diabetes and Cardiovascular Research Group http://sec.kingston.ac.uk/research/research-groups/drg/
Medical Information and Network Technologies
Publications including published abstracts;
1. Yasmin Z, Gomes A, Calabrese G, Kayyali R, Nabhani-Gebara S. Community Pharmacists' perceptions of e-cigarettes. Int. J. Pharm. Practice (2014), 22(S2): 19-22
2. Kumalo K, Gomes A, Calabrese G, Kayyali R, Nabhani S. Investigation of the public perception of electronic cigarettes. Int. J. Pharm. Practice (2014), 22(S2): 56
3. Chouvarda I, Philip N, Natsiavas P, Kilintzis V, Sobnath D, Kayyali R, Henriques J, Raptopoulos A, Chételat O, Maglaveras N. WELCOME – Innovative Integrated Care platform using Wearable Sensing and Smart Cloud Computing for COPD patients with Comorbidities, IEEE Engineering in medicine and biology society. August 2014
4. El-Dahiyat F and Kayyali R. Physicians' perception of generic and electronic prescribing: A descriptive study from Jordan. Journal of Pharmaceutical Policy and Practice 2014, 7:7 doi:10.1186/2052-3211-7-7
5. Nabhani-Gebara S, Kayyali R and Philip N. Digital Solutions to Support Patient Care at Home: Is Mobile Health a Reality? J Blood Disorders and Transfusion 2014, 5:4. 5: e112. doi: 10.4172/2155-9864.1000e112
6. Pai A, Naik P and Kayyali R. Patients' perceptions about shared decision making and medication counselling. Int. J. Pharm. Practice (2014), 22(1): 13-14.
7. Chalati W, Fletcher J and Kayyali R. Variations in provision and uptake of stop smoking services through community pharmacies based on variations in deprivation. Int. J. Pharm. Practice (2014), 22(1): 33-34.
8. Patel R, Kayyali R and Fletcher J. The experience of healthy living pharmacies within Lambeth. Int. J. Pharm. Practice (2014), 22(1): 47.
9. Salman D, Biliune J, Kayyali R, Ashton J, McCarthy T, Barton S, Swinden J and Nabhani-Gebara S. Optimising ambulatory chemotherapy services: patients' perception and satisfaction survey. Pharmacoepidemiology and Drug Safety (2014), PRIMM conference proceedings
10. El-Dahiyat F and Kayyali R. Community pharmacists' perceptions towards generic medicines and their opinions on future generic substitution policy implementation: A descriptive study from Jordan. J. of Generic Medicines (2013), doi:10.1177/(R)1134313502978.
11. Odeh B, Kayyali R, Nabhani S, Philip N, Wallace C, Wigmore B, Robinson P and Griffiths C. Impact of Telehealth on Patients' Outcomes – A Patients' Perceptions Evaluation Study. Int. J. Pharm. Practice (2013), 21(2): 104-105.
12. Kayyali R, Otukpe M, McKee C, Sanuade T, Rai D, Rabadia C and Naik M, Post discharge referral and perceptions of community pharmacists within South West London about the New Medicine Service Int. J. Pharm. Practice (2013), 21(2): 105
13. Ghafoor S, Kayyali R, Nabhani S, Sobnath D and Philip N. Evaluating patients' acceptability of alternative means of support for oral chemotherapy counselling and side effect management using a smartphone application. Int. J. Pharm. Practice (2013), 21(2): 27-28.
14. Harrap N, Kayyali R, Loughlin C, Ngan T, Ahmed S and Ling V. Evaluation of the perceptions and impact of an e-calculation education package designed for MPharm students Int. J. Pharm. Practice (2013), 21(2): 93.
15. Ishtiaq S, Kayyali R, Nabhani S, Dudzinski M, Greenhill D, Caton H and Philip N. Evaluation of the perceptions and impact of an educational game designed for MPharm students. Int. J. Pharm. Practice (2013), 21(2): 92-93.
16. Ogunrinde A, Kayyali R and patel N. Evaluation of community pharmacists' opinions and engagement in practice research. Int. J. Pharm. Practice (2013), 21(2): 91-92.
17. El-Dahiyat F and Kayyali R. Acceptance of generic medicines in Jordan: A study of patients', pharmacists'and physicians' perceptions. Int. J. Pharm. Practice (2013), 21(2): 59-60.
18. Dudzinski M, Greenhill, Kayyali R, Nabhani S, Philip N, Caton H, Ishtiaq S and Gatsinzi F. The Design and Evaluation of a Multiplayer Serious Game for Pharmacy Students. Electronic Journal of e-Learning (2013), 7th European Conference on Games Based Learning proceedings.
19. El-Dahiyat F and Kayyali R. Evaluating patients' perceptions regarding generic medicines in Jordan. J of Pharm. Policy and Practice (2013), 6(3): 1-8.
20. Nabhani S, Olszewska A, Singh J and Kayyali R. Patient Counselling - A Dying Art? Pharmacoepidemiology and Drug Safety (2013), PRIMM conference proceedings
21. Kayyali R, Nabhani S, Olszewska A and Adeniyi M; Investigation of bowel and breast cancer patients' perception of counselling and written information provided regarding the oral chemotherapy agent capecitabine. Int. J. Pharm. Practice (2012), 20(2): 85-86.
22. Kayyali R, Naik M, Ugbekile I and Pullinger W; Investigation of adherence measures provided to patients with newly prescribed medications prior to their discharge from secondary care. Int. J. Pharm. Practice (2012), 20(2): 23-24.
23. Chalati W, Fletcher J and Kayyali R; An assessment of the provision of enhanced vascular and sexual health pharmacy services based on local needs. Int. J. Pharm. Practice (2012), 20(2): 73-74.
24. Kayyali R, Harrap N, El-Khoury R, Micallef R and Rajah DT; A survey regarding pharmacists' expectations from local practice forums (LPFs) and the role of school of pharmacies in supporting these expectations. Int. J. Pharm. Practice (2012), 20(2):72-73.
25. Nabhani-Gebara S, Kayyali R and Olszewska A; Patients' perceptions of educational material surrounding their cancer treatment. Eur. J. Oncol. Nurs. (2012), 16 (1): 84.
26. El-Dahiyat F, Kayyali R and Alabbadi I; A Comparison of Generic and Originator Brand Drug Prices between Jordan and the United Kingdom, Jordan Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences (2011), 4(1):35-47
27. Evans P, Kayyali R, Hider RC, Eccleston J and Porter J; Mechanisms for the shuttling of plasma non-transferrin bound iron (NTBI) onto deferoxamine by deferiprone, Translational research (2010), 156: 55-67
28. El-Dahiyat F, McKee C and Kayyali R; A comparison of generic and originator brand drug prices between the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan and the United Kingdom. Int. J. Pharm. Practice (2010), 18 (1): 31.
29. Mousa Y, Kayyali R, Goldsmith C, Coughlan L, Cairns C and Evans C; Investigating the potential for improved management of patients with long term conditions through shared care protocols. Pharm World Sci, (2009), 31:502.
30. Ajaz S, Kayyali R, Goldsmith C, Coughlan L, Cairns C and Evans C; The development of a heart failure educational tool to improve medication reviews conducted by pharmacists. Pharm World Sci (2009): 31: 502.
31. Karir I, Kayyali R and Nazir T; Evaluation of simple quality-control tests for the determination of counterfeit medicines. J. Pharm. Pharmacol. (2008): 60: A-27.
32. Kayyali R, Hider RC and Porter JB; Combined chelation using deferiprone with deferoxamine induces synergistic inhibition of non-heme iron enzymes. Blood (2002), 100: 445a.
33. Lui ZD, Kayyali R, Hider RC, Porter JB and Theobald AE, Design, synthesis and evaluation of novel 2- substituted 3-hydroxypyridin-4-ones: structure-activity investigation of metalloenzyme inhibition by iron chelators. J. Med. Chem. (2002), 45: 631-639.
34. Kayyali R, Porter JB, Lui ZD, Davies NA, Nugent JH, Cooper CE and Hider RC, Structure function investigation of the interaction of 1- and 2- substituted 3-hydroxypyridin-4-one with 5-lipoxygenase and ribonucleotide reductase. J. Biol. Chem. (2001): 276: 48814-48822.
35. Hider RC, Kayyali R and Evans P, The production of hydroxyl radicals by deferiprone-iron compounds under physiological conditions. Blood (1999), 94: 406a.
36. Kayyali R, Pannala AS, Khodr H and Hider RC, Comparative radical scavenging ability of bidentate iron (III) chelators. Biochem. Pharmacol. (1998), 55: 1327-1332.
37. Kayyali RS, Porter JB and Hider RC, The design of low toxicity 3-hydroxypyridin-4-one iron chelators. J. Pharm. Pharmacol. (1998), 50: 261.
38. Kayyali RS, Porter JB and Hider RC, Inhibition of iron-containing metallo-enzymes by 3-hydroxypyridin-4-one chelators. J.Inorg. Biochem. (1997), 67: 331.
39. Kayyali RS, Porter JB and Hider RC. Design of 3-hydroxypyridin-4-one chelators with minimal inhibitory properties towards iron-containing metalloenzymes. J. Pharm. Pharmacol. (1997), 49: 97.
40. Kayyali R, Porter JB and Hider RC, Enzyme inhibition by hydroxypyridinone iron chelators. Eur. J. Pharm. Sci (1996), 4: S106.
41. Kayyali R, Marriott C and Wiseman H, Tamoxifen decreases drug efflux from liposomes; relevance to its ability to reverse multidrug resistance in cancer cells. FEBS Lett. (1994), 344: 221-224.
42. Savickas V, Kayyali R and Sharma N. Student success in the prescribing skills assessment, Radcliffe publishing Ltd. –London (January 2014).
medicies optimisation, Clinical Pharmacy, Pharmacy Practice, Research Methods, Clinical trials, Law and ethics, Pharmacokinetics, Critical appraisal
020 8417 2561