Estimating, Purchasing and Cost Control
- Gain a depth of understanding of how design and construction work is priced as clients have to use specialist companies and consultants to do the design and the construction work
- Give an in depth knowledge of how these prices are used to control the costs for the firms involved
On successful completion of the module, students will be able to:
- Identify and define the problems in estimating for professional services and to explain solutions
- Critically analyse the limitations of bidding strategies based on statistical methods
- Produce and use information for controlling and reporting on costs during design development and analyse the use of value management techniques
- Critically analyse procedures for reporting costs in a way that relates to company accounts and forecast cost and value for the contractor and the client
Contribution to UK-SPEC Outcomes
- An understanding of Cost Value Reconciliation techniques
- Knowledge of the use of bidding strategies and tender success using statistical methods of analysis
- Ability to apply estimating and pricing methods in order to produce a tender document
- An understanding of the application and use of Value Management techniques
- An awareness of the difficulties associated with the appointment of consultants
- Understanding the estimating and tendering process and the procedures involved
- Awareness of the importance of controlling costs during both design and construction
- Understanding the importance of attaining prices for materials, sub contractors and professional services
- Knowledge and ability to use financial management tools
All courses are subject to availability.
English language competency
Candidates whose first language is not English will be required to show evidence of an IELTS score of 6.5 or equivalent.
September and October -
Monday and Wednesday Evenings,
18:00 - 21:00 (5 Weeks)
Assessment (credit-bearing attendance only)
Coursework and Examination
£900 (UK/EU), £1200 (International)
Non credit-bearing fees
£750 (UK/EU), £1050 (International)
Fees include course materials and access to relevant specialist software and laboratories.
Discounts may be available for multiple bookings (courses or delegates attending) - please call +44 (0) 20 8417 7488 for details.
How To Apply
Download the Short Course application form and post the completed form to us. Please ensure you have read the Short Course Policies document.
Tel: +44 (0)208 417 3340
University regulations (Section 5.2 of 'Awards of the University, September 2007') contain certain restrictions on using modules taken as short courses as credit towards a qualification. For further information, please contact the Short Course Unit.