Computer Aided Product Design
A pre-requisite for this course is that you either attend the Integrated CAD/CAM Systems module, or demonstrate you have relevant prior experiential learning.
- To enable students to gain practical and theoretical knowledge of the analytical computing tools that extend the functionality of 3D Solid Modelling systems
- To utilise Finite Element Analysis (FEA) techniques to solve a range of engineering and scientific problems in the areas of Solid Mechanics, Fluid Mechanics, Thermodynamics and Heat Transfer, Kinematics and dynamics
- To develop an understanding of Computer Aided Manufacturing (CAM) techniques with a particular reference to feature recognition and the automated generation of process plans for multi-axes prismatic components
- To put the computing tools in the Product Development Process into an industrial context
On successful completion of the module, students will be able to:
- Assess the FEA method from a theoretical perspective
- Apply FEA techniques to a range of engineering and scientific problems and use the available analytical computing tools to reach a solution
- Understand the importance of validating FEA models and to undertake such validation when necessary
- Apply appropriate CAM techniques for a wide range of either direct or indirect manufacturing process
- Evaluate the theoretical concepts of automated process planning, feature recognition and knowledge based engineering (KBE)
- Apply feature based machining techniques to the machining of several engineering components
- Define rules in a KBE system(s)
- Critically analyse the role of FEA and CAM tools in a contemporary design and manufacturing based organisation
Contribution to UK-SPEC Outcomes
All courses are subject to availability.
English language competency
Candidates whose first language is not English will be required to show evidence of an IELTS score of 6.5 or equivalent.
November and March
Monday to Friday,
09:00 - 17:00 (1 Week)
Assessment (credit-bearing attendance only)
£900 (UK/EU), £1200 (International)
Non credit-bearing fees
£750 (UK/EU), £1050 (International)
Fees include course materials and access to relevant specialist software and laboratories.
Discounts may be available for multiple bookings (courses or delegates attending) - please call +44 (0) 20 8417 7488 for details.
How To Apply
Download the Short Course application form and post the completed form to us. Please ensure you have read the Short Course Policies document.
Tel: +44 (0)208 417 3340
University regulations (Section 5.2 of 'Awards of the University, September 2007') contain certain restrictions on using modules taken as short courses as credit towards a qualification. For further information, please contact the Short Course Unit.