Life Sciences is a dynamic and forward looking group within the University. It has grown steadily since it was founded in 1989. There are currently 48 academic staff as well as a research fellow and over 40 research students.
The success of Life Sciences has been based on the quality of its teaching and the comprehensive range of courses that it offers. Our most popular courses are in the area of Biomedical Science with both Bachelor of Science (Honours) and Master of Science programmes. Both of these courses are accredited by the Institute of Biomedical Science (IBMS) and graduates are well prepared to work in a variety of areas, including hospital pathology laboratories, the pharmaceutical industry and research laboratories.
It has invested heavily in the development of its own laboratories for teaching and research into subjects such as anatomy, biochemistry, biotechnology, cell and molecular biology, histology, immunology, microbiology, nutrition, pharmacology, physiology, radiotracer studies and sports science (including biomechanics and an environmental testing chamber) and specialist instrumentation laboratories. Undergraduate students' carryout a project during their final year which allows them to undertake an independent study into a specific topic of relevance to their degree. Some students may also have the opportunity to carry out their projects whilst on placement in an external laboratory.
- Professionally recognised courses - both our BSc and MSc in Biomedical Science are accredited by the Institute of Biomedical Sciences and our Nutrition degree is accredited by the Association for Nutrition.
- Excellent Teaching Quality - we achieved 24 out of 24 in the last QAA audit of Biosciences and 22 out of 24 in Sports Science.
- We offer a wide range of courses within the biosciences with foundation year (Level 3) entry for non-standard/mature applicants.
- Excellent links with a range of partner institutions including St Georges University of London and Royal Holloway University of London.
- Many of our undergraduate degrees available with a sandwich year option allowing you to gain valuable work experience as part of your course.
- We have good international links with the possibility on the majority of our courses to study abroad in the Europe, North America or Australia.
Date: Wednesday 15/06/2016 Time: 12-1 …