Dr Huda Morgan
School/Department: Life Sciences, Pharmacy & Chemistry
Position: Senior Lecturer in Chemistry
Sept'14-present Senior Lecturer: School of Life Sciences, Pharmacy & Chemistry, Kingston University
Nov'98–Sept'14 Part-time Lecturer (HPL): School of Pharmacy & Chemistry, Kingston University
Nov'98–Sept'02 Postdoctoral Research Fellow: School of Pharmacy & Chemistry, Kingston University
Dec'95–Sept'98 Postdoctoral Research Fellow: Medical College, The Royal London Hospital
Jan'94 – Dec'95 Postdoctoral Research Fellow: Imperial College of Science, Technology & Medicine
Sept'78–Sep'81 Laboratory Officer & Quality Controller: Pirelli Tyres Industries
Educational and Professional Qualifications
- 2013 - 2013 TEFL UK Certificate
- 2003 - 2003 PGCE Supervising Research Students
- 1990 - 1993 PhD & DIC Imperial College of Science, Technology & Medicine, London
- 1988 - 1990 MPhil Southampton University, Southampton
- 1974 - 1978 BSc Basra University, Basra
Nanoceramics and Biomaterials for Tissue engineering and bone replacement.
Polymers and biomedical applications.
Bone scaffolding from polylactic acids and polyglycol acids blends.
Conducting polymers; artificial muscles and nerves for robotic applications.
Biomaterials, Inorganic and Materials Chemistry. Modules are: Foundation to Pharmacy, The Science of Drugs, Personal Tutorial, Design, Discovery and Development of Pharmaceuticals, Medicinal Chemistry, Drug Development, Research Methods and Skills, Separation Science, Topics in Pharmaceutical Science-Industrial Polymers, Pharmacology and Pharmaceutics, Laboratory Techniques for Forensics, Drugs of Abuse and Toxicology, Polymers and Biomaterials, Modern Materials, Properties and Formulation of Pharmaceuticals, Immunology and Pharmacology, Bioanalysis II, Pharmaceutical Chemistry, Modern Lab Techniques for Forensics, Foundation Chemistry for Pharmaceutical Science, Foundation Chemistry, and Cell Reactions.
Other Professional Activity
1. Conductive Polyaniline/Poly(Epichlorohydrin-co-Ethylene Oxide) Blends Prepared in Solution; Z Abbas, S Barton, P Foot & H. Morgan. Polymers and Polymer Composites, Vol. 15, No. 1. 2007.
2. Conductive Poly (Butadiene-co-Acrylonitrile)-Polyaniline Dodecylbenzenesulfonate Blends Prepared in Solution. KC Yong, PJS Foot, H. Morgan, S Cook and AJ Tinker. European Polymer Journal 42, 1716-27 (2006).
3. Thermal Doping of Polyaniline by Sulfonic Acids. D Poussin, H. Morgan and PJS Foot. Polymer International 52, 433-38 (2003).
4. The Effects of Composition & Processing on Properties of Thermoplastic Polyaniline Blends/Composites. H. Morgan, P Foot & NW Brooks, J Mater. Sci. 36, 5369-77 (2001).
5. Preparation and Characterisation of Monoclinic Hydroxyapatite and its Precipitated Carbonate Apatite Intermediate. H. Morgan, R. Wilson, J. Elliott, S. Dowker. Biomaterials, 2000, 21, 617.
6. Effect of Diffusion Length on Erosion Rate of Packed Hydroxyapatite Powders. H. Morgan and P. Anderson. Poster at the BSDR Conference, Leeds University, April 12-16, 1999.
7. Cells for the Study of Acidic Dissolution in Packed Apatite Powders as Model Systems for Dental Caries. H. Morgan, R. Wilson, J. Elliott and P. Anderson, Caries Res. 1998; 32:428.
8. Effect of Grinding on CaHPO4.2H2O Formation during Acid Ireatment of Apatites. H. Morgan, J. Elliott and P. Anderson. Abstract in J. Dent. Res. 1997, 76, 1083.
9. Preparation of Bulk Stoichiometric Hydroxyapatite. J. Elliott, S. Dowker, H. Morgan and P. Anderson. BSDR Conference, Brighton, April 7-10, 1997.
10. Novel System to Study Demineralization Process in Packed Apatite Powders. H. Morgan, J. Elliott and S. Dowker. Poster at the BSDR Conference, Brighton, April 7-10, 1997.
11. Dissolution Rate as a Function of Depth of Acid Overlying Packed Apatite. H. Morgan, J. Elliott and S. Dowker. Abstract in J. Dent. Res. 1997, 76, 1081.
12. Making Ceramic Powders from Molten Salts. Y. Du, D. Inman and H. Morgan, Materials World, August 1996, 458.
13. A Novel Preparation of Calcia Fully Stabilised Zirconia from Molten Alkali-Metal Nitrate. H. Morgan, B. Durand, F. Chassagneux and D. Inman, J. Mater. Chem., 1996, 6(3), 495.
14. Preparation of Yttria-Doped Zirconia Powder from Molten Salts. Z. Zhao, H. Morgan and D. Inman. Rare Metals, 1995, 14, 2, 91.
15. Zirconia Formation by Reactions of Zirconium Sulfate in Molten Alkali-Metal Nitrates or Nitrites. H. Morgan, B. Durand, F. Chassagneux, D. Kerridge and D. Inman, J. Mater. Chem., 1994, 4(8), 1331.
16. Preparation of Yttria-Doped Zirconia Powder from Molten Salts. Z. Zhao, H. Morgan and D. Inman. Proceedings Fifth China-Japan conference, China, 28th Sept. to 1994, 126-129.
ORAL AND POSTER PRESENTATIONS
1. Bio-ceramics and Bone-Replacement Materials, colloquium, Kingston University, April 2004.
2. Thermoplastic Polyaniline, colloquium, Kingston University, November 2001.
3. The Novel Preparation of Superconductors from Molten Salts, MSDG, Imperial College, December 1994.
4. Novel Preparation of Advanced Ceramic Powders from Molten Salts, UK Nano-Technology Materials Forum, Birmingham University, November 1994.
5. Novel Preparation of Advanced Ceramic Powders from Molten Salts, EUCHEM Conference, Germany, July 1994.
6. Preparation of Ceramic Powders from Molten Salts, GORDON Conference, USA, August 1993.
7. Preparation of Pure and Stabilised Ceramic Powders from Molten Salts, Postgraduate Research Day, Imperial College, March 1993.
8. Preparation of Pure Single and Mixed Ceramic Powders from Molten Salts, MSDG, Imperial College, December 1992.
9. Investigation of some First and Second Row Transition Metal Compounds in Molten Nitrate and Nitrite Eutectics, MSDG, Imperial College July 1991.
CONFERENCE, SEMINARS AND COMMITTEE MEETINGS
1998-present RIEG-IOM3 conferences
2005-present SEC and P&C various seminars
2004 Parliamentary and Scientific Committee, House of Parliament, London.
2003 AQWA EU-meeting, Barcelona Water, Barcelona.
2003 Materials congress, 2003, Institute of Materials London.
2002 Advances in particle characterisation, CERAM, Stoke-on-Trent
2002 Reality and challenge of nano-engineering, Imperial College
1999 Joint Kingston-Surrey Conference, Surrey University, Guildford, Surrey
1998 Joint Kingston-Surrey Conference, Kingston University
1998 Annual Calcium Phosphate Conference, Le Touqet, FRANCE
1997 Molten Salt Discussion Group, the RSC, Burlington House, London
1997 British Society of Dental Research, Brighton University, Brighton
1994-98 SCI, Belgrave Square, London
1994-98 SCI, Queen Mary & Westfield College, London
1994-98 SCI, Brooks University, Oxford
1994 Institute of Materials South East, University College London
1994 Nanotechnology Forum in the IRC at Birmingham University
1993 Annual Convention on Ceramics, Brunel University, Uxbridge
1993 Institute of Ceramics, South East branch, Hartford University, Hertford
1990-93 Weekly departmental seminars, Imperial College, London
1992 Institute of Ceramics South East, Kent University, Canterbury
1992 EUCHEM conference on electrochemistry, fuel cells, Belgium
1992 Cleaner Technology conference, dti, Coventry University, Coventry
1989 Molten Salts Discussion Group by British Gas, Swansea University
1990 Molten Salts Discussion Group by Merck, University of Southampton
1987-02 Molten Salts Discussion Group sponsored by Merck, Imperial College
1. Inorganic, biomaterials and polymer synthesis
2. Microscopy (optical, TEM, SEM)
3. Crystallography (XRD, PSA, EDAX)
4. Thermal analysis (TGA, DTA, DSC, DMA)
5. Spectroscopy (FT-IR, UV-Vis, liquid NMR)
6. Chromatography (GPC, HPLC, TLC), viscosity and van der Pauw conductivity
7. MS Office; Word, Excel, PowerPoint, PhotoEditor and PowerArchiver
8. Specialist applications; Gufi 4, (Crystallography), IsisDraw (Chem), Hazard (Safety)