Dr James Denholm-Price
School/Department: Computer Science & Mathematics
Position: Associate Professor
I am an Associate Professor in Mathematics in the Faculty of Science, Engineering and Computing at Kingston, elected academic member of the University's Board of Governors and collaborative researcher with colleagues and PhD students across the faculty in speech technologies, databases (supporting research in HIV and parasitology) and statistics (working with Professor Mark Fielder and other colleagues in microbiology).
At the same time, I am currently leading a UK Government InnovateUK "Knowledge Transfer Partnership" (KTP) with JPY Ltd and running projects in pedagogy and technology-enhanced learning using e-assessment and classroom technologies in mathematics education.
Before coming to Kingston I completed my BSc (in maths and astrophysics) and PhD (in dynamical meteorology) at Queen Mary University, London, a postdoc research post in Antarctic meteorology at the University of Sheffield and a research scientist post in Predictability and Ensemble Forecasting at the UK Met Office.
Educational and Professional Qualifications
- 2013 - present Associate Professor in Mathematics
- 2009 - 2013 Principal Lecturer in Computing and Mathematics
- 2005 - 2009 Learning and Teaching Coordinator
- 2002 - 2009 Senior Lecturer in Computing and Mathematics
- 2000 - 2002 Research Scientist in Predictability, UK Met Office
- 1998 - 2000 Lecturer in Mathematics
- 1995 - 1997 Postdoctoral Researcher, School of Mathematics, University of Sheffield
- 1992 - 1995 PhD in Dynamical Meteorology, Queen Mary University, London
- 1988 - 1991 BSc Mathematics with Astrophysics, Queen Mary University, London
- BSc(Hons), PhD, FRMetS, MIMA(CMath)
Computational and Applied Mathematics; Speech Recognition and User Experience; Meteorology (Ensemble and Probabilistic Prediction); Applied Statistics and Databases (Big Data).
I currently teach in in Mathematics, including real analysis, computational mathematics and linear algebra, and in Computing, including database systems and web development.
+44 (0) 208 417 2670